The School of Business, Economics and Social Sciences at the University Graz was established in 1975 due to the efforts by management professor Karl Lechner. The School of Business, Economics and Social Sciences of the University of Graz is among the largest educational and research institutions in social and economic sciences in Europe with about 7,000 students and more than 700 graduates per year.
The school is part of the University of Graz which was founded in 1585 as the second oldest university in Austria. Moreover, it looks back on a long tradition of education in business, economics and social sciences, whose most important representative was Josef Schumpeter, who was a professor in Graz between 1911 and 1921 and dean in 1916/1917.
The School of Business, Economics and Social Sciences has gone through fundamental changes during the past years, relying on the targets/guidelines of the University Council and the Senate and accompanied by an international evaluation group. The majority of the chairs were reappointed and departments were renewed according to the requirements of the Bologna Process. Further, the School of Business, Economics and Social Sciences has an international focus with reference to its faculty, curricula and students. The school is located mainly in the renowned RESOWI Center, which was built in 1997; since then, however, several off-site locations have had to be added.